Friday, May 13, 2011

National Geographics

A few years ago I had a friend who did some community service out at the Shy Wolf Sanctuary in Naples.  I remember them telling me how the wolves were not what they expected; that they were just like big dogs who wanted to play and needed to be walked.  Not many of us think of wolfs as dogs at least I know I didn’t.  Ever since then I have been more interested in wolves so seeing this first video was really interesting for me.  The way wolves have impacted Yellowstone national park within just a few years is amazing.  At first I did not see how they would have a positive impact at all.  I would have thought they would cause more devastation because they would be feeding on what was left of the animal population.  I was surprised after watching the video that that was exactly what needed to happen.  Sometimes we forget that everything in nature works and feeds off each other like one big team.  Seeing the correlation of the loss of the last wolf and the lack of vegetation was interesting but I do not thing anyone thought that adding wolves would cause a decrease in elk that would then cause new and rapid vegetation and growth.  It makes a lot of sense looking back on it now, but thinking through the process before hand I did not see that coming.  The second video was also interesting in that the same thing was happening in the seas of Jamaica and between the land and sea in Africa.  This just shows that everything is related, and no matter where you are whether it be a third world or first world country the issues are the same when it comes to nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment